Thursday, July 02, 2015

Making the Time

Clearing your mind is hard.  Filling it up is surprisingly easy.
Meditation is not hard.  Being busy is easy.

Sometime the hardest time to make the time is when you feel like you have a lot of time.  I've been having problems making the time to meditate, and in fact scheduling and prioritizing my time, over the past few months.  I assume that you and almost everyone else who has some personal spiritual practice in simple mindfulness bumps into this barrier occasionally.  Even when I have comparative free time, I'm still having problems getting myself to set aside the simple 15 minutes to meditate.  Why?

Like all disciplines, it requires seeing something in the future as more important than whatever you're doing in the present moment -- regardless of how pleasant, important, harrowing, boring, engaging or distracting that present moment is.

This discipline is organizing around your personal priorities.  Why is that so often so hard to do?

Granted we live in a brilliant and beautiful world full of distractions -- positive, negative, ambivalent.

Like you, I'm searching for a practical practice of mindfulness and meditation that will allow for a gentle but firm discipline that will allow me to better organize around the truly important, unique and positive things in the world.

Discipline is hard.  But meditation is surprisingly simple.
Organization is not hard.  Being distracted is easy.

Both the craft of writing, and the practice of meditation can be a map, a beacon and a door to these simple, positive and revolutionary organizing, prioritizing simple ways of being.

They're a path that will require dedication and re-dedication, discipline and self-discipline, resignation and forbearance.  But it's a path worth trying, failing, and trying again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home