Nothing

It's hard for Americans to wrap their minds around the pursuit of "nothing." I certainly do have problems understanding this challenging precept of Buddhism.
But recently, while reading one of the many slick, well-produced Buddhist magazines for sale at upwardly mobile newsstands around my hometown, I recalled a song from the peak of my adolescence: the brilliantly brooding "Nothing" by Depeche Mode.
So, for a little meditation on a theme, I've posted the lyrics here:
Sitting target
Sitting waiting
Anticipating
Nothing
Nothing
Life
Is full of surprises
It advertises
Nothing
Nothing
What am I trying to do
What am I trying to say
I'm not trying to tell you anything
You didn't know
When you woke up today
Sitting target
Sitting praying
God is saying
Nothing
Nothing
Always
Knows the prospects
Learnt to expect
Nothing
Nothing
Sitting waiting
Anticipating
Nothing
Nothing
Life
Is full of surprises
It advertises
Nothing
Nothing
What am I trying to do
What am I trying to say
I'm not trying to tell you anything
You didn't know
When you woke up today
Sitting target
Sitting praying
God is saying
Nothing
Nothing
Always
Knows the prospects
Learnt to expect
Nothing
Nothing
Granted, technically a copyright violation;
"but in a case like this I'll get away with it."
As an extended contemplation, Depeche Mode also wrote and produced an instrumental track titled "Nothing to Fear" which also feels as though it has a deeper meaning. But that's for you to decide.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home